From 1922 until the present Everson Funeral Home has always seen an Everson at the helm. However, it has been the wonderful staff and associates that have helped make Everson Funeral Home what it has always been, a professional concern dedicated to the care of those in need..
Everson Funeral Home was started November 20, 1922 in Williston by George Bernard Everson, the first of four generations of Eversons to oversee the family funeral service. Journeying from Iowa, George Bernard first traveled to Bottineau, ND, where he helped establish the Bottineau National Bank. Banking also brought him to Williston.
However, in 1917 G.B. Everson entered the hardware business. He later sold his hardware interest to join the Home Furnishing and Undertaking Co. in 1922 with Bernard Anderson. The firm later became Everson Funeral Home.
In 1928 Everson was joined by his son, Lloyd. The grandson of the founder, George Byron Everson, would be born November 1st of that year to Lloyd and Ruth Everson. In 1937 Lloyd purchased a half interest in the family endeavor, later becoming the sole owner upon his father’s death in 1943.
Sadly, Lloyd Everson died unexpectedly a few short years later in 1947.
Ruth Everson would courageously operate the family firm in Lloyd’s absence. At the time of Lloyd’s death, George Everson was stationed overseas with the U.S. Army Occupation Force. In fact, he didn’t learn of his own father’s death for two months when word finally got to him at his base in Japan.
He returned home to the states to attend college, completing his coursework at the University of Minnesota College of Mortuary Science, the same school his father had attended. He joined his mother at the family firm upon his graduation. Ruth would stay actively engaged in the operation until the mid 1960's, yet maintaining a watchful eye for many years to follow.
During all those early years, the funeral home was located on Broadway in the Masonic Temple building. The Eversons occupied the basement and main floor while the Masons retained the upper two levels for their civic and social uses.
In the early 1960's, George Everson embarked upon the construction of a new funeral home facility at it’s present location at 112 East Fourth Street in Williston. The new firm opened to serve the people of the area in 1965. Greg Everson, the current owner and operator was born December 14, 1963 to George and Marlene (Mockel) Everson. Sadly in April of 1964, Carol Everson, George’s sister and only sibling, died after suffering through many years of diabetes.
After also graduating from Mortuary Science Program at the University of Minnesota Greg joined his father in the family business in 1986. After a five year hiatus in Denver, Colorado, Greg and his wife Charysse, a local Williston girl and the daughter of Earl and Lois Rennerfeldt, decided to return to Williston when George expressed a desire to slow down a bit. He never did.
George was actively engaged in the family concern with son, Greg, until a tragic automobile accident. During the next two-and-a-half months George received wonderful health care at the Regina Hospital, then St.Alexius Hospital and lastly Mercy Medical Center. Although he suffered some mental impairment from the accident, he still retained his wonderful memory of people and their names. After residing in the Bethel Lutheran Home for a little over a year, George passed away on January 15, 2004. The Everson Family was greatly appreciative of the compassionate, skillful care George received from the wonderful staff at Bethel Lutheran Home and Mercy Medical Center.